A couple of months ago, Liz called me. She had been running for a couple of months and was thinking of running a half marathon. Also she was planning to go to Women's Conference in Provo. Then as we talked, we checked the internet and there was a half marathon in Provo the day after women's conference. It took me a day or two to commit and talk to Rob, but I decided to travel to women's conference and train to run the half marathon with her.
At first, I thought I would probably travel by myself, but then Rob suggested I invite Sara and Lynne, my friends from Rocky Mountain House. This seemed like a stroke of inspiration and I immediately phoned each of them. Both had things to arrange to make the trip possible, but, in the end it worked out that we all went down together. When we got there we met up with my sisters Liz and Sarah, and even got to have dinner with Sarah's boyfriend, Brian.
It was a fantastic trip on many levels--social, educational, spiritual and of course, physical fitness.

Driving. We did a lot of driving. 12 hrs there and 12 back, driving to temple square twice and driving around Provo and Orem shopping.

Our first stop was to get gas in Sweetgrass Montana. Behind us is the Glocca Morra Sweetgrass
where my sister Sarah's car was once stored until she could bring it across the border.

The sessions at Women's Conference were amazing. We got to hear all of the general auxiliary presidencies of the church, and Elder Dallin H Oaks and his wife. We also went to several other break out sessions. Some sessions were funny, some emotional, and all were informational. On Thursday at 6:30 am, we prepared for the instant choir along with about 1,000 other women. We sang in the opening session where Julie B. Beck the General RS president spoke.

Saturday morning. Sara Eklund and my sister Sarah ran the 5 K race. Liz and I ran the half marathon. Before the race, it was only cloudy. We felt the first drops waiting on the start line. Lynne began training, but wasn't able to run because she got Plantar Fasciitis a couple of weeks before the race. Next time, Lynne.

Sisters. Having this race as a goal helped me to train really seriously for 8 weeks. It was a great motivation.

The Sara(H)s after the race. Pretty drenched, eh?

All 4 runners after the race.

Liz coming through the finish line about 20 seconds before me. We ran together, but she had more sprint at the finish.

Me coming up to the finish line, drenched through. Time, 2:03:06. This represents an average 9:24 minutes/mile which was faster than I was expecting.

After we cleaned up after the race, we went to temple square and did a live session at the Salt Lake temple. It was pretty special. We met up with Sarah for the session, but took these pictures first. When we came through the gate to temple square, a beggar man said "Charlies Angels on Temple Square?!" We thought that was pretty funny.

After the temple, we went to Blackfoot, Idaho and stayed overnight at my grandpa's house. We left early in the morning and hit sacrament meeting in Dillon, Montana. We got back about supper time.
2 comments:
Way to go Becky...you are an inspiration.
I'm seriously impressed with your running commitment and time. I was tickled pink that I ran a 5K last summer. I actually had a nightmare a week or so ago, that I had signed up for a marathon, thinking it was only a 5K.
Glad you had a nice trip!
Post a Comment