Friday, July 23, 2010

Best Dam Triathlon

A week ago today, I participated in the Magrath "I swam the dam" triathlon. It was an incredible event, very fun and lots of hard work. There were about 300 particpants all together including those who did the sprint distance (me), those who did the olympic distance, and those who participated on teams. The race began with a 750 m open water swim in the St. Mary's reservoir. The water was a little chilly, but not that bad once you got going. I completed the swim in 16.10 which was 50th of 115 in the solo sprint triathlon group.
In this picture, I am with my friend, Tabatha, just before the race. She swam as part of a team.

Can you see me swimming? I'm swim cap #246.



This is me just starting the bike. The bike is where I lost a lot of time. My bike time was 58:09, but I like to think that if I had a real road bike, I could have knocked a fair bit off of that. I was 77th overall on the bike and 11th in my age group. The bike time includes all the transitions and was 26 km.


This is me on the run. The run was my strongest segment. I ran 5 k in 26:58 which was 46th overall, or 7th of 20 in my age group.



Overall the race took me 1:41:18 which was 62nd overall or 9th out of 20 in my age group. And, man was I tired! I loved doing the triathlon and highly recommend it. My only/biggest problem, is that I have had very sore feet, especially my right foot since the race, such that I haven't been able to run. I have plantar fasciitis and this is the source of my complaint. I managed to keep it mostly at bay through my 1/2 marathon training, but lately it has been worse and the training and race for the triathlon put me over the edge. But, stretching is one of the best treatments, so I am attacking that aggressively.





My Blog List