Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ideas for the Prete Reunion, Summer 2008

As you probably know, I am hoping to have a family reunion here in Magrath next summer on dates TBA. Possibly around the 4th of July, but not necessarily. Please give input as to dates--John and Emma like the 4th as it is a paid holiday and easier to leave work for. Would others of you (I'm thinking of Bryners) miss not being in the US on the 4th for the usual fireworks and other traditions?)



I have a couple of ideas for the reunion. Tell me what you think.



1. Get family pictures. Rob's family had this done last Chistmas. A photographer in Cardston will do outdoor photos at your place-or wherever-and take a large group photo and individual family pictures as well as any other groups we want. Then she gives you a disc with all the photos on it and we have rights to print as many copies as we like. The Doig photos turned out really well. These pictures might cost each of our families $50-75.



2. Link up with a local fun run or walk/run. As many family members as wanted to could enter and others could watch and look after kids (we may have to hire a couple of babysitters too, depending on how many do the race). If we picked a family friendly event, babies could even be pushed in strollers and the kids could participate too. I thought doing a race together, which I desperately hope would not turn competitive in a negative sense, could be a great motivator to all of us who have a goal to exercise, but do better with an event to look forward to.



Please comment on these ideas.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the pictures idea. Love the run idea. If the 4th is out (that is a bit nice for us, again, because it would include a holiday when John is off work anyway), no time is really better or worse for us, other than the fact that we will be in Utah anyway the 14th through the 20th (we could possibly leave on the 19th which is a Friday to get up to MacGrath late that night or early the next day if people wanted to take that weekend and a couple of days the next week).

Really, though, a run would be so fun! I particularly like the idea of doing a family friendly one so we could push kids in strollers. I also really think it would be great to get pictures, since I wasn't in the last one :)

John said...

I like the Run idea as well. But I was actually planning to turn it competitive. Anyone up for a stroller race / crash-up derby? Our stroller and driver are in tip-top shape. You're all going down! Ha ha.

The Doig family said...

Uncle JOhn youre on I warn you your goin' down Preston can run super fast with a strlloer
Alyssa

The Doig family said...

I've just been checking into race schedules for 2008, and there is nothing posted locally here yet. The pioneer day weekend (probably the 25-26th of July is "Magrath Days" here and includes celebrations such as pancake breakfasts, parade, bonfire, etc.... Last year there was a run/walk/bike 5 or 10 K event at 7:30 am on the Saturday. Entry fee was cheap--$10 or $15 and everyone got a T-shirt. It was so casual though that they didn't even time the finishers--and the 5 K wasn't marked properly so its participants actually did about 7K.We could, hypothetically hook up with that event, and the other Magrath Days festivities, if we did the reunion that weekend, but it doesn't have to be that way, necessarily.

Unknown said...

I might a little bit prefer not to do it that weekend as I'm hoping to convince my husband to take me away for a romantic getaway for our anniversary, which is the 24th . . .

But again, if that is the best weekend for everyone else, we'll be there.

The Bryner Family said...

How is Mark?

The Bryner Family said...

John and Alyssa,

I have had years of pushing little siblings and cousins in strolelers. I have pushed 40 pounds + 40 pounds + 45 pounds in one very hard to control stroller and gone very fast. So you just watch it!!!!!!!!!! And we have six kids in our family which means even LOTS of years of expierence and I am the oldest so I have pushed everyone but myself. (And Alexandra, she has not gone in a stroller yet since it is cold weather and we have been sick. (That is why I am posting this comment during school) So we'll see who wins this race, although we won't even have room to bring a stroller probably.

The Bryner Family said...

P.S. Anna wrote the comment right above this one.

Brooke S said...

All I can say is - someone make a video!!!!

John said...

All I have to say is that I am so fast pushing a stroller that I can beat everyone in the race and video record it at the same time. Look out. Da John & Evelyn combo is coming to town. Heck, I could even win if Emma and Evelyn were to sit in the stroller together (even if Emma kept her feet on the ground and tried to hold the stroller wheel with her hands). Look out everyone.

The Doig family said...

Yo Anna You really think you can beat Me ha ha ha

The Bryner Family said...

Since Rob is the high school principal, isn't that just a little more important than being mayor? I'm sure Rob could get permission from the city council to close a few roads so we could have our own private family race. We could even invite Jimmy Balderson and his family.

John, there's no way you're going to beat us country folk in a race. How do you get any exercise, sitting at that desk for 14 hours a day?

Christian
Christian

The Bryner Family said...

Becky,
I'm sure my wife likes those ideas, but were you planning on having any FUN activities? Trying to keep my kids calm for a 45 minute photo shoot wouldn't exactly be the highlight of my vacation.

C.B.

The Bryner Family said...

Will we have steak for one of the meals? If so, I'll come, even if we have to get family photos.

C.B.

The Bryner Family said...

Can you get us Americans a discount for the entry fee race? Our dollar is no longer what it once was, and a $10 to $15 entry fee seems pretty steep. Plus we are likely facing some serious tax hikes due to the impending election of Hillary Clinton and the return of a Democratic congress.

C.B.

The Bryner Family said...

John and Alyssa,


AT LEAST I KNOW WHAT I AM TALIKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!! I COULD PUSH EVERYONE ATTENDING THE REUNION TO THE REUNINON AND BACK TO GET ANOTHER PERSON ALL IN ABOUT 2 MINUTES. (MORE LIKE 1). SO IF YOU THINK YOU CAN PUSH, GET REAL! Ha Ha.
Anna

The Bryner Family said...

Baldersons sounds fun. Hey, when is the camp? Maybe some of us cousins could do it together if it were at that time. Oh yeah, I think I remember you said it was in August. So probably not in that case. Anna

The Bryner Family said...

When I said Balderson sound fun, I meant that would be fun to invite them. That would also be really funny. Not that they would really come. But thinking that is just funny for some reason. And I'm still beating you in all the races, Alyssa and Uncle John. But if you think about it, not many people can bring a stroller so I guess I can just take one of your stroller when you step on a rock at the beginning of the race and start crying. HA HA. Then I can win it whether there is a new kid in the stroller or not!!!!!!!

The Bryner Family said...

Alyssa speaks of a waterslide.Is this true? I would like to know. She also said that it was really long, but really, really fast. Please comment on this comment.

The Doig family said...

Anna If you left the waterslide comment there is 2 one is for tubes the other one is just sitting down O And Anna and Uncle JOhn You do not know what you are talki about I got game
Alyssa

The Doig family said...

O.K. Christian, we'll have to have steak one night, and how about a little fishing? I have 2 umbrella strollers, one running stroller and a double stroller, so we should have plenty for the race! Christian commented on closing a couple of streets for our race. There are some streets around here that only see a vehicle about once/week, so we probably wouldn't have to tape things off too much. Regarding the Danny Balderson basketball camp, this year it was July 22-26 which was a Monday through Thursday. It would be fun if you were here and Paul and Anna could participate. Alyssa's idea about going to the waterslides is a possibility. There are actually at the Ramada hotel in Lethbridge, but is open to the public. It is similar to to Collicutt center in Red Deer, only on a smaller scale. (Splash park, wave pool, waterslides, hot tub)

The Bryner Family said...

Uncle John and Alyssa,


Let's get some proof. If you can download a blogger video of you pushing the stroller, then I will know you have good computer skills. If you can't download a video, you're both going down!

The Bryner Family said...

Alyssa and John,

I will flip a coin seperately against you two. If it's tails, you lose. If it heads, I win. Fair? Well that's how it's gonna be! Period/ Exclamation point!.

























































































































... Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

My Blog List