I'm not sure when I became a country bumpkin, but I'm guessing it came on gradually after spending a few years in Rocky Mountain House and now living in an even tinier town, but we definitely have become hicks. For example, in the Las Vegas airport, alone, we had several experiences my kids have never had (not to mention the actual plane ride). Preston had his first ever ride on an escalator and he was completely enthralled. We also rode on a tram to the baggage claim area which was the first time any of them had travelled on anything like a train. Then, we took a bus over to the rental car centre, and it turns out my kids' only previous experience ever on a bus was a school bus.
Anyway, in Las Vegas, I rented a car and it was an unbelievably terrifying experience for me. Because I wanted to give the kids a few experiences in the city, I drove all over town. I made quite a few wrong turns and then had to correct them. Traffic was heavy and I had to change lots of lanes and find exits and all the stuff that is boring daily routine for people who live in cities. But I was terrified. I've never been so relieved as when I handed back the keys to that rental car which I had managed to return on time and without crashing!
My biggest car mishap on the trip wasn't even in Las Vegas. We flew from Kalispell and to get there from here you have to drive through a canyon in the mountains for over an hour. On the way to Kalispell, the roads were wet and slushy as it had recently snowed, but was relatively warm. I used a lot of washer fluid on the way and I was sure that I would need to refill the washer fluid if Iwanted to make it back home. So, I went to the first gas station after leaving Michelle's and bought washer fluid and filled the tank. Then I noticed that it wasn't actually the washer fluid tank that I had filled--it was the coolant tank! After a few moments of severe panic, I recovered my senses, went back into the store and bought coolant. Then I drove back to Michelle's and we mostly emptied the tank by syringe and then added the coolant. In the meantime, Michelle called her dad, her brother (who in turn called half of Cardston) trying to get advice to see what we needed to do. It turns out that my mistake will probably not wreck the car afterall! And, since most of Cardston and all of the family know my stupidity, I thought I'd publish it for your enjoyment too!
4 comments:
Nice Work, Beck! Sounds like something I would do!! I need to visit teach before the month is up!!!
Becky, we had so much fun with you here. The house is quite boring now. Why don't you make this an annual "chase away the winter blues" trip?
ok I am laughing, not at you, ok maybe alittle, sorry I thought your fluid story was pretty funny
This is Brent just in case you thought it was Megan :)
Post a Comment