I last published a post about my garden at the beginning of July. These pictures were taken around the beginning of September. I hope you won't think I am bragging too much. It's just that I'm so delighted that after a poor year last year, the whole garden thing has been working this year. So here's the sum up. Thanks to lots of help from my family, especially mom, we got 4 large ziplocs of peas. I also got 8 large ziplocs of frozen raspberries, and now I'm harvesting corn, (50 bags in the freezer so far) potatoes, cucumbers, peppers, and carrots. Still to come, tomatoes and pumpkins.
I didn't keep up with the weeding nearly as well this year. I suspect I'll be paying for it next year.
It has been the strangest year for weather. It was a cool wet summer until about the middle of August. Since then, we haven't had hardly a drop of rain and it has been significantly above seasonal. Today, it got up to 34 C, which I wouldn't be surprised if that is a record! We haven't had frost yet, and I wonder how long we can go. The longer the better. But, the days are getting shorter, and even on the hot days, the nights are getting chillier.
If it weren't for the garden, I would be wishing for just one big frost. The reason is because the wasps are unbelievably bad lately! Lots of people have been stung (luckily so far no one in our family) but they are out by the thousands in the yard. I'm actually afraid to put my food and garden waste in the compost because of them, and we have been through 4 bottles of wasp killer. I don't remember them ever being this bad.

potato patch

A green pepper from my garden

Some corn from my garden. So far I have about 50 bags in the freezer and have provided corn on the cob for a couple of Sunday dinners.

Corn still growing

Corn field. This corn is about 9' high.

Tomatoes--lots of green ones, not many ripe, yet.

One of many pumpkins. the pumpkin plants seem to have taken over the garden. There should be no shortage of jack-o-lanterns and pumpkin pies this fall.

Jalapeno peppers. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they are just thick under the leaves.

Green bell peppers. Lots of them and really nice.

Back yard box garden, now filled in. I keep picking the sweet peas like Mom told me, and they keep flowering.
2 comments:
The one thing that makes me sad about our new house is that it probably means we're in Vegas fairly permanently - which for me equates to never being able to have a garden like yours! Although, I do still hold out hope that I'll be able to makes some kind of adjustments to off set the heat. Thanks to you, I've started composting and that has been rewarding for me.
Amazing garden this year Becky!!!!!
Post a Comment