Saturday, May 29, 2010

Becky and Alyssa discover their hidden athlete

As of a week and a half ago, Alyssa had never won a ribbon at a track meet. To say the least, she got that monkey off her back now. At the school track meet, she came in third in the 800 m and 4th in the 400 m. She also came in 3rd in shot put. Her real strength however, came in Discus where she won, with a throw of 16.8 m throwing over a meter farther than her nearest competition, and exceeding the throw of the best Gr. 8 girl too. At the divisional track meet, she decided to just do her throwing events. She came 4th in discus, with a slightly shorter throw than in the school track meet. Her 4th place finish qualifies her for the Southern Alberta Summer Games if she chooses to attend. Good work Alyssa.





Today, I ran the Cardston legacy half marathon. The pictures below are super small because I got them from Rob's parents camera via facebook. Anyway, as you can see, it was snowy/ slushy. We have had 3 inches of rain since Wednesday, and last night it turned to snow, especially in Cardston (in Magrath, there was just a slight dusting of snow). It was snowing/sleeting through the whole race, and there was a stiff north west wind. The course is also very hilly, gaining 700 feet of elevation before turning around and coming back. About 40% of the registered runners didn't show up. Anyway, I had trained hard so I went anyway. I felt really pretty strong today and improved on my time from the Provo City Half Marathon by 2 minutes which I think is pretty great because several people told me to expect the hills to add up to 20 minutes to my time. My time today, 2:01:09. Paul and Sheron were volunteering at the race. They ran the water station at mile 5 & 8. It was sure nice to have their support both before and after the race as well as during. It was even colder for them at the drink station because they didn't have the exercise to warm them up. Upcoming challenges...Cardston 5 miler next weekend, and in July the Magrath Triathlon! Oh, and don't forget the Prete reunion 10 mile run for all takers!






1 comment:

Haylee said...

Way to go Alyssa! Brave girl for running! I LOVED the throwing events because I was much better at them than running - only a few people know (or care) that I took 2nd place in Javelin with a throw of 124 ft at the State track meet...

My Blog List