On Wednesday, the 3rd, we got up early and drove over to Hanauma Bay where they have snorkelling. We had to wait in line for a while and watch a conservation video before we were free to go to the beach, but we probably still got there by around 10. I immediately set about going snorkelling--which I love. I took various combinations of kids with me and we saw lots of tropical fish in many varieties. We even saw a giant sea turtle when I went out with Alyssa and Austin. Then Alyssa and I took Preston out and saw the turtle again. Hanauma Bay was also nice for playing on the beach. Rob and Preston did lots of building in the sand. Also, it was a nice place to take Mark into the water because there were not many waves.
 |
| Austin's face full of sand |
 |
| We dug Mark a hole in the sand to make a lounge chair and rigged up some shade. He had a great time listening to his iPad and chewing on whatever he could find. |
 |
| Alyssa: triumphant snorkeler |
 |
| Preston and I getting ready to snorkel |
 |
| Rob didn't choose to snorkel, but had fun digging in the sand with his boys. |
 |
| Look at all the snorkelers. I think that is Austin, closest |
 |
| A panarama of Hanauma Bay. |
 |
| We didn't have an underwater camera so sadly we have no record of what we saw down there. Here is a view from above the surface just a few feet from the shore. Can you see the cream colored fish with the black stripes? On one of our ventures, we saw of school of hundreds of this kind of fish. |
 |
| We took Mark in the ocean at Hanauma Bay. He was quite nervous at first, but gradually relaxed and really enjoyed it. |
 |
| Mark getting more comfortable. |
 |
| Mark playing with the other kids at Hanauma Bay. Even though we were only at Hanauma Bay for about 3 hours, a lot of it in the morning, we got a lot of sun there. I got probably the worst sunburn I have ever had on my back (usually I don't burn). |
 |
| Back at the hotel beach |
 |
| Just chillin'. We made 3 chairs in the sand and draped sheet over them. Super comfy. I read lots of my book, Truman by David McCullough while traveling...not too much while actually in Hawaii. |
 |
| Preston loved building pits and castles. As the tide would come in, it would gradually be washed away. |
No comments:
Post a Comment