Thursday, May 28, 2009

Austin Wins Hearts at School Track Meet

At Magrath Elementary School, yesterday was track meet day for all Gr. 4-6 students. There are 8 events that all the children have to participate in, and the longer running events, 400, 800, and 1500 m are optional. I have long dreaded this day for Austin, because, of course, he is at a significant disadvantage and I was worried that if he participated the experience would be devastating for his self-esteem. The teacher gave us an option that he could sit out and help with announcing or some other job, but Austin decided to participate.

Austin handled the day surprisingly well, and the gr. 4 boys he went with from station to station were supportive and encouraging. The remarkable moment of the day was the 400 m. This race was supposed to be optional, but the person at the starting line told Austin he had to run. So he did. When the race was over for the other kids, Austin wasn't quite half way around. Once the crowd realized Austin was running, nearly everyone at the track meet, regardless of what events they were participating in, started cheering for him and chanting Go, Austin, Go, and so on. Then, as Austin came to the last 50 m of the race, about 20 other kids poured out onto the track and ran it with him, all the while cheering for him.

What an incredible manifestation of the supportive atmosphere at that school and what a tribute to Austin who, though he doesn't win many races, has learned how to win hearts.

4 comments:

Carma said...

Bravo, Austin. I wish I could have been there!

Gabi said...

Wow that is so wonderful for Austin and what a supportive school!

Karen said...

I was watching him during that race,standing on the corner with my heart fit to burst when I heard the chanting start. I love Austin for his Cheeriness,determination,and the friend he is to Michael. It just goes to show you how many hearts he has touched in this community, and how many friends he has that love him back.

Brad said...

What a little trooper. Great experience!

My Blog List