An annual Christmas tradition at the Doig family is to break a pinata on Christmas Eve. Normally, Sheron, Rob's mother, makes the pinata, but this year, since we were travelling, I decided to make one for us to break at Bryners, and since we were limited on space while travelling, I made it after arriving there Saturday evening. My sister-in-law Haylee was also interested in making a pinata and so we made two of them together. Our pinata was surprisingly strong. This was largely due to the third layer of paper mache which was made of strong polyester fabric. Joe and Haylee and their family left on Tuesday so I didn't get to see their pinata finished. However, once mine was done, Alyssa and Anna decorated it in a Christmas theme.
We went to the Bryner grandparents' house for Christmas Eve dinner, and we decided to break the pinata at their house. Christian's mother, Cristy was rather nervous, I think, about us swinging bats around in her basement by the plasma TV, etc. but I am happy to report that no one was hurt and there was no damage done. Some of the Bryners thought maybe a wiffle bat would be the appropriate tool to break open the pinata. They soon learned, however, that not only did we need to use a real baseball bat, but that in order to make a dent, it was necessary to swing hard! After about 45 minutes and lots of turns for everyone, Alyssa gave it the death blow, and there was a wild grab for the loot.
1 comment:
A wiffle bat . . . I glad you taught them how to break open the pinata. Although reminders of Grandma hitting Brad in the knee would have been a great hazard lesson. We were sad that we missed you during the holidays but it sounds like you had a great time. We'll come up again once the snow melts.
Post a Comment