Friday, November 14, 2008

Have you ever had one of THOSE days?

My Wednesday trip to Calgary for Mark's neurology appointment was a bit of a comedy of errors which all began because I forgot to take his prunes. ***Background: Mark is on a special low carb diet which he gets via tube feed. The only carbs he gets are in the form of 10 mls of prunes with each feed. These prunes are very important because they keep him from getting excessively ketotic on the diet (which could lead to ketosis, diabetic coma, etc.) *** Anyway, I discovered that I had left the prunes at home (sitting on the counter, ready to go) when I was at the appt. at 11:00 feeding Mark. After the appt. I decided to forgo eating in the hospital cafeteria and go directly to Shopper's Home Health where I had an appt. to look at wheelchair vans. For you Canadians, who know Shoppers, usually the home health centre is connected to a Shopper's Drug Mart, which would be an ideal place to get baby food prunes. Having never been there, I followed the directions and hoped for the best. However, no Drug store, just the medical supply store. So I looked at the vans, etc then got back on the highway. I exited at a giant outdoor mall area and started looking for a place to get prunes. All I could find was Superstore, a massive grocery store. I carried Mark in, because his wheelchair was dismantled for travel in the back to the car. I bought the prunes, fed Mark again and then realized it was almost 3:00 and I hadn't eaten. Exhausted, hungry and worried about getting home--I had thought I'd be back about 4:30--I decided to try and find a fast food restaurant. There were a few in a little strip mall, and left Mark in the car while I went in and picked up my takeout. There was no line, I could see the car from the store, and I was inside for about 5 minutes. Anyway, some concerned younger ladies pulled up into the stall next to the car and waited there until I came out, then lectured me about how I shouldn't leave my child alone in the car.
I was so flustered from that experience, that I accidentally got in an exit lane and ended up in the bow valley river bottom before getting back on the highway.
When I got home at 6:00 after listening to Robert Munsch stories all the way, I had a pounding headache and a wishing I had never gotten out of bed that day.

1 comment:

Brooke S said...

Oh Becky I feel your pain. Gotta love those know it alls. I hope the rest of your week has gone significantly better.

I thought of you when I had to run in to Pizza Hut to get our pizza. No cars in the parking lot, windows to see out, Chan in the car. I asked him if he wanted to wait in the car and I'd be right back - he said No Mom, I will die. (Apparently the threat was remembered from the summer when he didn't want to get out of the car at all...) Good luck with Mark!

My Blog List