Sunday, November 30, 2008

The mystery of the unlightable Christmas lights!


The image you see above may appear to be a home modestly decorated with a few Christmas lights. What it really is, is a mystery solved. This year I bought LED lights for the house. They are rather pricey, as you may know and these few you see displayed above cost about $115. You can imagine my disappointment, then, when after two trips to Lethbridge to finally get the right number and kind of lights, and 2-3 hours on a ladder and on top of my roof (risking my life), hanging them, I couldn't get the dumb things to light up! Well, actually, they did light up for a moment, and then tripped the safety switch on the outlet and turned off. Rob assured me that I had too much hooked up together and that I should string them differently so that I didn't draw so much power. Too many LED lights, how could that be possible? I thought they were supposed to be efficient! That night, I woke up in the night and couldn't get back to sleep, so I did an internet search and found out that you should be able to string 1/2 a mile of LED lights together and put them in one outlet. The next day, I changed the extension cord, and voila they worked...for a few days. Then, the breaker started cutting them off again, and for the last several days they haven't worked again. Today, I decided, I could endure the mystery no longer. I got out the ladder and various extension cords, and tried all the strands individually. No problem until I came to the very first strand. When I got to the end of it, I discovered my problem. The receptacle end was hanging down into the eavestrough which was full of water! Now all the lights are working, and, in celebration, I'm even leaving them on overnight!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh Becky!LOL At least you were able to solve the problem, picture looks great!!

My Blog List