Thursday, November 20, 2008

A RASH of bad luck

Perhaps I seem negative in my blog lately with posts about unpleasant days in Calgary, Mark's medical worries and jury selection. I hope I'm not perpetually someone who sees the glass as half empty. I hope you will humour me, and trust then, that I am not a whiner or a hypochondriac, and that you will feel genuine pity for me, rather than resent my negativity when I report to you my most recent woe....
HIVES.
Beginning Monday morning, first on my left leg thigh, then my left arm and in my hair. Then on my other leg and other arm and then on my calves and torsoe. Now also covering my back in my neck and on my face. On my hands, including the palms and on my feet including the bottoms. And boy do they itch! If you've never had hives, and I had never had the privilege before this, they are raised red welts of various sizes from the size (and approximate itchiness) of a mosquito bite to large patches covering most of my back. They can appear and disappear and move around wherever they dang well please. For me they have been especially swollen and itchy first thing in the morning, but are pretty bad all day long.
I've been to the Dr. who perscribed two perscription anti-histamines which, in my opinion, don't even seem to touch it. It has been four days now and each day they are worse than the day before. I look quite disfigured at the moment. (Good thing I didn't invest in that webcam.) Apparently hives are an allergic reaction. The question is, to WHAT? I tried to assure the doctor that I don't have allergies and he told me that we can become allergic to anything at any time in our lives. I'm not sure if its the hives or the medication, but I've had chills off and on (though I don't think I'm feverish) was faint/dizzy and nauseous yesterday and have been having naps almost involuntarily everyday.
I have heard that some people suffer from chronic hives and there are those who have had them for 20+ years. How I pity those poor souls!...and pray that I get over this in the next 20 hours, not 20 years!

2 comments:

Brooke S said...

Oh man! What a week! This reminds me of a time when Joe and myself (and I'm not sure who else was involved) found a wasp nest in the hay stacks. After a bit of pain, Aunt Joyce hooked us up with meat tenderizer and the swelling went down.

I hope the anti-histamines work soon!

Love you tons!

Rochelle said...

Becky, Can't hives also be caused by stress. Have you had any of that lately? :)
Seriously, you're my hero! I wish I had half as much patience and faith as you do!
You're in our prayers! Good luck with everything!

My Blog List