Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Robert Munsch, meet Austin Doig!




On Thursday, last week, the famous children's author, Robert Munsch, came to Raymond. A family there had won a story writing contest as part of a Canada-wide literacy campaign, and because of that, the family got to spend an evening with Robert Munsch and he came the next day to read stories for an audience at the school. I decided to take our boys (Alyssa had play practice). Mark listens to Robert Munsch stories on his iPad a lot. He loves the sound effects and his intonation. Robert Munsch frequently makes him laugh and laugh. Austinalso won the storytelling contest last year telling his story, "Mmm, Cookies. " While Robert Munsch is Canadian, I think his stories like "Love You Forever," "The Paper Bag Princess," etc, are pretty famous elsewhere as well.
Anyway, because we had Mark in a wheelchair, we were able to find seating on the front row to the side of the stage. Robert Munsch chose children from the audience to come up to the front. He changed the name of the child in the story to match the child he selected. As they were introducing him, etc, I thought I saw Robert Munsch looking over at us once or twice.
Sure enough on the first story he called for a child to be part of the story and then looked directly toward Austin and called him up. Preston followed right behind and he let him come. So, in this video, you can see that "Moira's Birthday" became "Austin's Birthday." Unfortunately for our family honor, apparently Preston was not very attentive and was even...I am ashamed to admit....picking his nose up front before about 1000 people!


After the show, I got a book autographed. I also gave Robert Munsch a letter I had written to him thanking him for the difference he made for Mark. Mark did really well through the whole thing which is pretty impressive since being in a gym with 1000 or more people is not his favorite pastime.

2 comments:

Kartchner Family said...

How exciting!!!! So sad I missed it.

Betty said...

Delrey's favorite children's book is Paper Bag Princess! I remember your mother sending me one of his books, when my kids were little, about a little boy who got all bundled up in his snow suit, then had to go pee... I had been trying to get my boys to say they had to go to the bathroom, and not go pee... and after this book, I gave up! How exciting you got to meet him and that Mark likes him so well! Delrey wrote a children's book, recently, and Robert Munsch is his mentor.

My Blog List